It’s super annoying when you sit down to stream something, and instead of the content, you come across an error code. HBO Max has this same issue. Out of all the errors, you’ll come across the “Service Error” the most.
The ‘Service Error’ message on HBO Max is one of the most common problems that you’d face. Some users encounter an error in the media library, while others face this while logging in.
Fortunately for most users, the HBO Max service error is super easy to fix. It happens when the app is unable to connect to the server because of slow internet service, or issues in HBO Max servers.
If you’ve been facing this HBO Max Service Error issue as well, then this guide is for you. Go through the guide step by step to fix the service error on HBO Max.
Troubleshooting Steps for Service Error on HBO Max
There are multiple ways to fix this issue, so you can try out different methods when one doesn’t work. Let’s go through these steps one by one:
1. Check HBO Max Servers
As mentioned, there are multiple reasons that could cause the service error. But, the biggest issue of them all is problems with HBO Max servers. To check if there’s an issue with the servers, you need to check online.
There’s one site that keeps track of all online services, and if they’re operating optimally. Head on to downdetector.com and search for HBO Max. If there are any issues with the servers in your country, you’ll know about it.
If there is a server error, there’s nothing you can do to fix it. All you have to do is wait for the HBO team to fix the error on their end.
If there are no issues with the servers, then check out the next method.
2. Switch to Some Other Content
Chances are you got the HBO service error on a particular show or a movie. Try switching to some other media and see if you still get the error. This will help you confirm whether there’s a service-wide error, or if it’s happening on a single service.
You can report the particular movie or show to the HBO Max team to let them know of the error.
3. Disconnect VPN
Using VPN is generally a good idea to keep yourself safe online. Sometimes, this precautionary measure can cause issues with online services. Plus, not all VPNs are made for streaming services. There are only a handful of best VPNs for streaming services.
If you’re connected to a VPN and you’re getting a service error, try disconnecting from the service.
Once you’re disconnected, close the app and open it again. Try to stream, if the error is fixed, great. If not, check out the next troubleshooting step.
4. Verify If Your Device is Supported
Another reason for the HBO Max service error could be that you’re using an unsupported device. While HBO Max is available on almost every single platform and device, it could be possible there are some devices that don’t support it.
If you’ve been consistently facing issues with the HBO Max app, then you should check out the list of supported devices.
Try to stream content on a device that’s supported or use any web browser if your current device is incompatible.
5. Re-Login to HBO Max
Some small bugs can sometimes lead to big issues. One of the best ways to flush the bugs is to log out of the service and log back in. This will make sure all the corrupted current data is cleaned from your device.
If you don’t know how to log out of HBO Max and then log back in, follow these steps:
- Open the HBO Max app on your android or iOS device.
- Go to your Profile, scroll down, and click on Settings.
- Press the Sign Out button at the bottom of the page and close your current session.
If you’re streaming HBO Max on a web browser, here are the steps to log out and log in:
- Open the browser, and go to the HBO Max website.
- Click on your Profile icon which will open the side menu.
- Scroll down and click on the Sign Out button.
- Refresh the page, and then log back in again.
6. Reset Your Internet Service
Slow or unstable internet service could also be the reason for the “Service Error” message on HBO Max. HBO Max requires you to have a minimum of 5 MBPS speed to stream content in HD.
If you’re getting the Service Error over and over again, check your internet speed. You can use any of the online speed tests to check out the speed you’re getting.
If your internet service is causing the issue, you should restart the router. If that doesn’t work, reach out to your ISP about the quality of your service.
7. Clear Your Browsing Data
If you’re getting the service error on the browser and getting the HBO Max service error, there may be an issue with the browser.
All browsers save some kind of temporary data files. These files are called caches and cookies, and they can add up over time.
If there’s too much data on your browser, it could cause problems. It could affect the performance of the websites you visit.
To fix this issue, follow the steps to clear your browser data and cache:
- Open your browser, and press CTRL + H on your keyboard to access the history settings.
- Click on Clear Browsing Data from the side drawer.
- Now, click on the Time Range tab and choose All Time from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, include cache and cookies in the process and hit the “Clear Data” button.
Once the data is cleaned, go back to HBO Max, and re-login to your account.
8. Run Anti-Virus Software
If you encounter error messages on other apps as well, it may show that your device is infected by malware or other viruses. To make sure that’s not the case, you should download anti-virus software.
Almost all antivirus software offers a full scan that will allow you to search your entire device. Once the scan is complete and your device is running smoothly, try streaming again on HBO Max.
9. Clear HBO Max App Data
HBO service errors can happen because of corrupted app data. Some of HBO Max’s app data may have gotten corrupted when the servers face an issue.
Here are the steps to clean HBO Max app data:
- On your android device, access the settings and scroll down till you see the Apps tab.
- Open the Apps section, and go to HBO Max from the list.
- Finally, go to the Storage tab and hit the Clear Data button to start the process.
10. Update HBO Max
If you’re using an outdated version of HBO Max, then you should update your app. Using an outdated app could cause service errors on HBO Max. Not just the service error, it could cause a whole range of errors.
On an Android device, you can check for updates using these steps:
- Open Google Play Store on your device, and tap on your Profile icon.
- Go to My Apps & Games, and find HBO Max from the list.
- In the end, click on the update button right next to the HBO Max app.
On an iOS device, you can check for updates using these steps:
- On your device, go to App Store.
- Now tap on your Profile and find HBO Max from the list of apps.
- Click on the update button right next to the app, and install the latest version of the app.