AOL email is one of the oldest email clients, it was also the first ever free global email service. So, if you wonder who the godfather is of all current email clients, it is AOL. If you’ve been using AOL since the very beginning, then you know how much it has improved. Also, you’d know about excellent features unavailable to other email clients. Regardless of all the benefits, users tend to face AOL email login issue fairly often.
But, before we jump onto the troubleshooting part of AOL mail login problems, let’s first discuss what makes AOL so great.
AOL has been around since 1985, and it managed to stay relevant in the age of technology where everything becomes old within months. With time, AOL understood the needs of the customer and changed themselves to deliver what they wanted.
If you sign up with AOL today, here’s everything you’ll get:
- Un-send email feature
- AIM panel
- Calendar feature
- 250 GB inbox
- Attach up to 25 MB file in a single email
- Storage capacity of 1,000 new and 4,000 old messages
- Advanced security features to protect your email account from outside attacks
- Supports POP3, SMTP, and IMAP
- Built-in auto-correction and spell-check feature
To get all of these features, you’ll have to sign up and log in to your AOL email account.
Now logging into AOL email is where the trouble lies. Thousands of users monthly report facing AOL email login issues. If you’re one of them, you don’t have to make a new account. There are ways to fix the AOL mail login problems.
Common Reasons for AOL Sign-In Problems
Generally, users can’t log in to AOL email because of the unauthorized email login process. But there could be other reasons for the AOL email login issue.
1. Wrong Login Credentials
Human error is the biggest reason you could be facing this issue. When you’re trying to log in to AOL mail using the wrong username or password, you won’t be able to log in.
2. Account Has Been Blocked by AOL
If you have used your AOL email for spamming, and other illegal activity, then chances are AOL has blocked your email account. If there’s any suspicious activity noticed on your account, the servers will either temporarily or permanently block your email account.
3. Server Related issues
Server timeouts are common. Sometimes, servers aren’t just able to process the login request. This can happen when servers are under maintenance or are experiencing too much traffic. So when you face the right sign-in problems, you should check if the AOL servers are down at the moment.
4. Computer or App Issue
There are some other things that can cause the AOL email login issue. If you’re having constant AOL mail login problems, then you should verify the app settings as well.
Whenever you face the AOL email login issue, you will see an error code on your screen. This AOL email error code is basically an explanation of why you can’t access the email.
The most common AOL email errors include:
- The username and password are invalid.
- Cannot sync to AOL (this email error only comes up on the app).
- Service is temporarily down, error code 500.
- The browser shows blank pages.
- The connection is not secure.
- Can’t find this page or can’t connect to this page.
If you’re using the AOL email account on the desktop app, then AOL error codes may look something like this:
- AOL BLERK Error 1
- AOL IMAP not responding error
- BLERK Error Code 5
- AOL Desktop not responding
How to Fix AOL Email Login Issue?
Now let’s finally get into the troubleshooting part of the situation. Now its time to fix these issues:
1. Change Login Password
If you’re not able to log in to your email account, then one of the most common reasons could be errors in usernames/passwords. There are chances that you’ve mistyped the login info during the sign-in process.
The best way to fix this problem is by changing your login password. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to mail.AOL.com.
- Type in your AOL username and press the Next button.
- Now click on the forgot password link button below the sign-in button.
- If there’s a phone number verification method, click on next. In case you’re unable to verify your account via phone number. Click on “Try another way to sign in” as another option.
- Type in the AOL verification code that’s sent to your phone or email account.
- Create a new AOL email login password.
- Press the save button now.
Once your password is saved, sign in again using the new password.
2. Problems with IMAP/POP Servers
If changing the password doesn’t fix your AOL email login problems, then you can configure the IMAP POP servers. Although, do keep in mind that this troubleshooting step is only when you’re using third-party mail apps such as Outlook, mail app, etc.
Whatever app you’re using, configure the account settings of the app. Chances are your email account isn’t set up properly with the third-party app.
The wrong configuration is what causes you to be unable to access the AOL email.
Whatever third-party email app you’re using, the incoming and outgoing email configuration should be matching the below-mentioned ones:
- IMAP server address – imap.aol.com Port no:993
- POP server address – pop.aol.com Port no:995
- SMTP server address – smtp.aol.com
- Port no: 465 or 587
Change your current settings to these details, and then resync your account with the email server. You’ll now be able to access your AOL email.
3. Check if AOL Mail is Down Currently
Chances are that you aren’t able to log in to your email account because AOL servers are down. Moreover, AOL has recently made some changes to their servers which means not a lot of users are able to log in.
If you feel like there’s something wrong with the servers, then go to downdetector.com or Twitter to see if AOL email is not working. You’ll have to wait till AOL releases a statement that the email has been fixed. Or, you can try again a bit later.
4. Troubleshoot Browser Settings
If AOL email login issues come up on Google Chrome, and other browsers you’re using, and you’re getting one of these messages:
- Can’t load this page
- The browser is showing a blank page
You need to make changes to your browser settings to fix this issue.
some basic changes that you’ll need to make include:
- Clearing cache, browser cookies, bookmarks, and other browsing data.
- Allow Pop-up for AOL.
- Update your web browser.
After you go through all of these steps, try to log in to AOL email login. This should fix the ‘can’t sign in to AOL email” problem.
- Turn Off the Firewall and Other Security Settings
Sometimes, you aren’t able to log in to your AOL email account as the privacy or other security settings are interfering with the login process.
If you’re connected to a VPN or using antivirus software, then they could be causing the email login issue.
Turn off any VPN, or antivirus service that you’re using. Once that’s over, try and log in again to the AOL email.
If you’re still not able to log in to the AOL mail account, you should review the inbound and outbound settings of the email account.
- Open the firewall on your Windows computer
- Check the inbound firewall rule.
- If you see that AOL and HTTP ports are disallowed, then you need to enable them.
- Now go to the outbound settings and enable the ports for the AOL email account.
How to Fix Can’t Log In to AOL Mail Problem on iPhone?
If the AOL mail is working fine on the browser or PC app, and not working on iPhone, then there are some troubleshooting steps you can follow:
Go to settings on your iPhone.
Go into the “mail, accounts & calendars” option (on the latest iPhone models, it should be Accounts & Passwords).
Tap the AOL Account and then swipe up.
Tap on the delete account button, then press Ok.
Once you’ve successfully deleted the account from the iPhone, go back to mail settings and add the account again.
- Go to accounts & passwords.
- Click on the “add account” button, and choose AOL from the list of options.
- Now enter the name, email, and password. Press on Next when you fill the information.
- Choose the type of AOL services you want to sync to your AOL email account. Press Ok after choosing.
That’s it. This will fix the “can’t open AOL email on iPhone issue.” You can now go to the mail app to access your email.
1. Why can’t I sign into my AOL email account getting the error “this password was changed before”?
If you’re unable to access the AOL email account and are getting the error “this password was changed before”. You’ll have to reset your current AOL email password.
2. What to do with “oh..ho this account has been blocked error”?
If you’ve received this error, it means that you have somehow violated AOL email’s policies. As AOL email saw the signs of spam activities, they’ve blocked your account permanently or temporarily.
If the email account is crucial to your day-to-day life, then you can talk to the AOL team and request them to unblock the account. If that doesn’t work, then you can just make a new email address.
3. Can I access AOL mail without a password?
No. You can’t log in to your email service without a password. The only way that’s possible is if you’ve enabled the password auto-fill setting. If you’re using the AOL email on your browser, then you can save the password, and log in.
Conclusion – AOL Email Login Issue
That’s it. This is all you can learn about AOL email login issues troubleshooting. Follow the steps carefully, and it should fix your AOL mail login problems.